Monday, September 26, 2005

Cricket off the field

I'm not going to go too deep into statistics, you can find them all at cricinfo, but I'll tell you one thing: Ganguly hasnt looked like he can bat for as long as I can remember. I've seen him score quickfire hundreds against mediocre bowling attacks, and 4-an-over hundreds against decent attacks when 7-an-over hundreds were required. All good for keeping the batting average healthy though never enough...but then, I could be wrong. So while it was only a matter of time before something was done about it, Mr Chappell has steamed in like an army man sent in to manage a team with the single minded purpose of shaping things up (where's Tauqeer Zia nowadays?) Greg has used Sarfraz Nawaz-like tact and blown a simple situation into a complete train wreck. I don't see how you can only just join a team and during your first tour, not before or after, tell your captain that he should start up the order because the middle order batsmen are better than him. "Ganguly yaar, you're game is suited for opening the innings", or maybe "Hey Saurav! The boys would be pumped up if you led from the front and came up the order!" Was that so hard?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

100 Blogs in 100 Days
I should've done this earlier, but better late than never. I totally got my 100 Search Engines in 100 Days idea from the Blog Herald , who is doing a 100 Blogs in 100 Days feature.
I am so glad I found your blog! Great information!

I have a site about best home based business opportunity

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Keep up the good work! I look forward to reading more information on your blog

Abdullah Farooki said...

Its a good point you raise. But I believe he should've gone to the selectors instead of raising it with Ganguly at all. Anyone would get pissed if you tell them to step down or sit out of the team. It was a very stupid approach.

shams said...

Exactly, I pointed out that he should have talked before or after not during the tour. But since it was Ganguly who asked for an 'honest' opinion, he could have been a bit more tactful.